Saturday, December 22, 2007

Bethlehem

Now is a perfect time to share my experience in Bethlehem this summer. I don't have the actual pictures that we took while there (long story, but I will be getting them shortly), so I downloaded these off the net. They work well enough. :)
Below is The Church of the Nativity. Built over the spot where Jesus Christ was born. (The Catholic church where they hold Christmas Mass every year is right next door and big and bright and beautiful, it is not the same denomination as this one) When we were here, this was dark and filled with incense, and mass was going on. They sing their mass, and it was very depressing and weird. I was very disappointed that such a sacred place was ruined by so much ugliness. You can't see very well, here, but in the very front of this room is where the mass takes place, with benches and stuff. It's pretty small, and covered in ornate gold decoration. Things are hanging everywhere. It's very old and I didn't think it was pretty at all.

After watching that for awhile, we were taken down to this "cave" where it is believed that Christ was born. In the far front, you can see the fireplace looking place that is marked as THE spot he was born. To the right, where that pillar is, there are a couple steps going down into a small area believed to be the "manger" area - where He was laid. You can see the cloth and pictures hanging. It is very dark down here, and small. We crowded our group of 53 into this place.

Below is the place marked as the "actual" spot where Christ was born. There is a star on the floor there. I have a picture of us holding Cole by this spot. We don't know if this is all the actual place or not, but the Brethren have said that it is nearby and similar to where he was born. Of course, it wouldn't have looked like this at all. :O)

While we were in this area, Michele and Elese, my sisters-in-law, sang a lullaby to the Savior called "Little One." While they sang, Cole (at the time just a few weeks old) began to cry. I was a little stressed about it, because it was hard enough to feel the Spirit down there. I moved into the "manger" area and then as I tried to console him, I pictured Mary, consoling her newborn baby and singing a lullaby to him. All of the sudden, the moment became perfect to me - just as it would have been that night so long ago. And I couldn't keep the tears back. I felt the Spirit as they sang that lullaby to the Savior, and I feel it over and over every time I reflect on that moment.

Throughout our trip, we visited some very sacred places. But it was always the same. We had to work really hard to tune out the world around us, the flashy and gaudy religious fanfare, and feel the Spirit from within. This holiday season, my wish for all of you is that you, too, may be able to "tune out" the world around you and feel the love of our Savior.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!
"Little One"
Little one, sleeping so peacefully
In a stable so bare. Not a sound in the air.
Little one, Master of all the world,
Did you know that God's plan for you,
Will save all men someday?
Little One, Little King
The love of God is my quest all my life, Little One.
Little one, people are gathering near.
They all know where you are, by the light of a star.
Little one, angels watch over you
As you know they will always do,
Throughout your whole life through.
Little One, Little King
The love of God is my quest all my life, Little One.

5 comments:

Dixie Chic said...

I still get tearry-eyed when I hear the story of Cole at the "manger". What a beautiful tradition to tell every year to your kids!

WonderKitty said...

That must have been a great experience! You have done so much fun traveling this year! You should post those pictures when you get them. I want to see you and Cole!

Unknown said...

Heather, what an awesome experience! The story about Cole and the lullaby totally made me tear up. What a good way to end my night! Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

I loved my experience in Bethlahem. I just remember thinking that although so many different faiths celebrate the Savoirs birth differently ( and WAY differently than I am used to ) I was wonderful to see - and think of - so many people over so many hundreds of years honoring and worshiping him

Dixie Chic said...

Merry Christmas! I hope you had a great one! Can't wait to see some cute xmas pics of the kids. :)How did Cole do with his first Christmas?