Gordon Bitner Hinckley
1910-2008

I'm sure you've all heard the news! I found out around 8:30 pm tonight (Sunday). Wendell came home from a Stake mtg., and they'd just found out. When he told me, at first I didn't have much reaction. Of course, I've been expecting this for some time, given his age and everything. But about five minutes later, my emotions overcame me. I have such a special place in my heart for President Hinckley! He has been the prophet since I was in high school. I've loved his optimism and his love of life. His talks always lifted me up and made me want to be a better person. He asked us to always be a little bit better and do the "very best" we can. And he always had a joyful outlook on life. I have mixed feelings about his passing. I am so sad that I will no longer hear his voice at Conference - which I ALWAYS looked forward to; yet so happy that he is finished with his earthly life. He is with his wife now. And yet I'm also jealous, a little bit. He is in the arms of his Savior. And what a wonderful feeling that must be!
Someone said that now he can "rest". Wendell joked that there's no way he's going to get any rest. Maybe 5 minutes. lol. One thing's for sure, he will be missed!
I'm glad to have the gospel and to know there is a purpose to this life. I'm glad that I know I don't have to be sad, but that there is happiness in death. A weird concept to many in the world. And I'm glad we have a system set forth in the church for knowing who the next prophet is. It'll be weird to consider President Monson as the prophet at first, but I'm sure that with time I will grow to love him just as much. After all, he will be the mouthpiece of the Lord - just as President Hinckley.

7 comments:
Amen.
It is sad about President Hinckley. I have always loved President Monson. It is nice to know we don't have to wait for the right color smoke!
I have read alot of Pres. Hinkleys works and I have grown to love the amazing serive he has given to the church. He was the greatest example of how to live according to the Lords will. I would love to share the book "Presidents of the Church" This book Starts with Joseph Smith all the way to Hinkley and it's very inspirational. I think Monson will be ready for this challenge just because he has live an exemplary life also. My prayers are with Pres. Hinkley and his family.
I agree. He will be missed, but it is nice that he didn't suffer in pain for a long time.
Thanks for making me cry! They were tears of gratitude for a wonderful President. What a special time that we had to have him as our Prophet.
I was thinking about how busy he'll be in heaven, too! What a beautiful tribute! I'm so grateful to have been able to have President Hinckley as a prophet, and I'm really excited to get to know President Monson better- I've been waiting for President Monson to be prophet for years. It's so neat how each man called to be a Prophet is the PERFECT man for the job! I'll miss Gordon B. Hinckley, but I'm so grateful for the knowledge that we will see him again someday, along with everyone else!
I think your tribute is perfect. While I'm glad he didn't have to suffer long, I was shocked that things happened as fast as they did. Ultimately, though, I'm so excited he gets to be with his wife. I think he talked about her almost every conference since she died.
Post a Comment