Wednesday, September 3, 2008

All about the food

As I slouch in front of my laptop, it is clear to me that I have one big problem. It rolls up into layers, and it is destroying my self esteem with every passing second. This belly. For some reason I am really feeling it's presence right now. Why does it have to stick out like that? Why can't it pooch inward instead of outward? sigh. Well I have only myself to blame. Maybe it's because I have been a total pig lately. Because chocolate is good.

It seems like I have been surrounded by food. Besides being a pig, I've also been harvesting a few things from my garden. It's hilarious how much hard work I put into my garden and about this time of year I am trying to get rid of stuff. I'm completely tired of eating cucumbers. Yes, they are yummy. And yes, I probably could make pickles with them. But I have no desire to and I don't even think I have the right type for pickling. So if you want some, let me know and I'll set some aside for you to come pick up...

Yesterday I picked all of my corn- which happens to be at it's peak of sweetness. Then I blanched and cut the corn off the cob and it's now in my freezer. I'll be doing the same with my green beans. I'm not a canner. I've never done it. So I'm freezing things. I was given a bucket of plums. So I planned to make plum freezer jam today. Well, most of the plums were too mushy and some were moldy, so I ended up making the freezer jam with some strawberries I just bought. Which will be even better. That was today's project. Hopefully my tomatoes will be ripening any day now. I'm planning to make a bunch of salsa once those are ready. That's about all we want to use the tomatoes for. I guess I'll have to learn how to do some canning for that.

Maybe if I spent more time scarfing the goods from my garden and less time raiding the cupboard for more Pepperidge Farm cookies, I wouldn't be worrying about my pooch as I sit at my computer. But that's the human way, isn't it?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute post, but I REFUSE to believe any rumor that you have a 'pooch'!! I mean, every normal stick-thin person will have a 'crinkle' when they bend like that, it's called "skin". Lol. Would you like to sit next to me so you feel better? I have what you call a "belly". Total belly. It shows even when I bend backward! ROFL!

Hey it sounds like your garden has been productive! I can understand that too much of one thing gets old. I wish I were around to take it off your hands! I love the idea about making salsa out of the tomatoes. I would love a good salsa recipe, I'm sure Benji would really enjoy something like that. And good for you making freezer jam! Yummo. I know that to me, freezer jam (strawberry) doesn't get old. Everytime I make myself a sandwhich or a piece of toast, or put it on a cornmuffin or a biscuit- I'm so glad I went overboard and made so much! I would love to try different flavors, however.

Great to see you post more often these days!! :) :) :)

Kelseybob said...

I'm with Lisa... I doubt that you even have anything that looks like a pooch, but you can sit tnext to me and it will make you feel a lot better about yourself!

Unknown said...

Heather, I was thinking the same thing...I really doubt that you have a pooch. You are so funny.

Yum, I do love cucumbers, but I don't foresee me being in Logan/Providence anytime soon, dang it. Oh and salsa sounds so good right now.

Amanda said...

This was a Freaking Hillarious post! I am totally right there with you on the Chocolate. I think to my self if I eat this Chocolate zucchini cake it is good for me because of the zucchini. So why not eat the whole loaf in one day. Why oh why is chocolate so good.

Kristy said...

Harvest time...gotta love it! You know I feel the exact same way lately, except I really do have a pouch, where I doubt you actually do! Up until last time I had corn sitting in my kitchen in 3-4 boxes for the last few days. It was so gross...the corn was really yum, but had a lot of those corn worms in the top and them kept crawling out and all over my floor! YUCK! Anyway..

wendyberd said...

i have to agree with lisa - i don't think it's physically possible for you, of all people, to have a pouch.
prove it - post a pic of it and then i'll be a believer.

Anonymous said...

Canning tomatoes is the easiest thing in the world! And it's so great to have them around later.

I can't even comment on the pooch! I've seen you!

sweet_h2o said...

Pooch smooch. I TOTALLY win!

Lol...if you only knew how much I'm constantly envying your flat tummy (esp. after 3 kids) and how beautifully you wear every piece of clothing...

I recommend belly dancing...oddly enough it's the perfect cure for teaching you to begin loving your feminine "pooch" (that I've never seen btw...)