Friday, January 29, 2010

Warehouse Club Chocolate Muffins



Does anyone else love these muffins as much as me?

Okay, yes, eating one is usually followed with a healthy dose of guilt. "Did I really just eat that whole thing?" Because those babies are huge. But we got this cool "muffin topper" pan for Christmas, which has been a huge hit at our house. And my kid made a request for chocolate muffin tops. So, naturally, I want to find the *best* chocolate muffin recipe. And the thing I absolutely LOVE about the internet is that I usually can find just about any recipe I'm looking for. So here it is: the copycat recipe for those yummilicious chocolate muffins.

(I'm aware that this is only the first recipe for these I've tried, so I can't be 100% positive it's the *best*....but it's really stinkin' good.)

(the batter - in the muffin topper pan...)
1 devils food cake mix
1 (3.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding
3/4 cup vanilla yogurt ( I have also used plain)
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup oil
3 eggs
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease muffin pan (this makes about 20 muffins)or use muffin liners. Set aside. In a mixing bowl combine cake mix and pudding mix. In a separate bowl combine yogurt, water, oil, and eggs. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips. Fill muffin tins about 3/4 full. Bake 20 -22 minutes or until center springs back. Cool on wire rack .

Where I found this recipe.

(regular sized muffins)

The Verdict:
Thumbs up all around. I made 6 large muffin tops and 11 regular sized muffins with this recipe. 2 hours later we are left with only 4 reg. muffins. The kids really went to town on these - which is fine with me because, you know, less for me.

Update 2/1/10z; I went to this website and figured out the calorie content of these muffins. It isn't pretty. Keep in mind these are more like a cupcake (aka: dessert) than a muffin you would eat for breakfast. Also keep in mind that I had to choose the ingredients from lists already in the database. I think I found everything I needed -- but there could be slight variations depending on brands of foods that you use, and their varying calorie content. With that disclaimer, here are the results: 234.7 calories, 14 g. fat per muffin, if you were to make 20 muffins. I like the idea of making mini muffins....

4 comments:

Lisa said...

Awesome. I have been trying to duplicate these muffins on my own, and I keep failing- the chocolate chips always sink to the bottom of my muffins, so I will totally try this recipe! So. How many calories would you guesstimate one of the regular sized muffins to have? ;)

Heather said...

lol. Um...not sure. But I'm guessing a lot. Maybe I'll go figure it out really quick. :)

Lisa said...

Thanks for adding the caloric content!

Lisa said...

Wow- just visited the site and you DID have to dig for the info. Thanks for spending time on it! I'll save the site for future reference. Looks like I can have 1/4 muffin for my "snack"... ROFL!