I'm so frustrated- I had my whole post ready to go and then pushed a wrong button and it was gone! Deleted! Grrrrrr. Okay, I'll attempt again....
At our house we are having Chinese night every Thursday night. I've found that Chinese is one type of food that I just cannot get a handle on. I don't know what it is. Maybe it's just the lack of good recipes. I love collecting all kinds of recipes and try really hard to do them well. I just love to cook. But Chinese, actually Asian food in general, is beyond my grasp. So we made Thursday Chinese night so I can try out some new recipes and hopefully come off conquerer.
And I've already hit my first home run. Not to toot my own horn, but these potstickers were awesome. Maybe they weren't really, but compared to how I thought they might turn out, they were awesome. And now I'm craving them as I type this up. mmmmm.
Potstickers are a little tricky to fold and cook. You have to pleat them a certain way, and then cook them a certain way, too. But with the help of great instructions from this website, I had no problems. I used my own leftover marinated chicken and the cabbage from a coleslaw mix (which works really well for chinese cooking) to make these, and used the flavorings from this recipe, adjusted slightly according to what I had on hand. We dipped them in soy sauce.
I completely forgot to take a picture of them after they were cooked. So when we were all done, with one left, I hurried and got a snap before it was gobbled up. You fry them in a thin layer of oil, and then steam them, giving them a crispy bottom. They are so yummy! I can't wait to make them again this week.
I used won-ton wrappers, but you can make your own if you are ambitious. Those websites I shared are quickly becoming new faves of mine, so go check 'em out.



4 comments:
You amaze me. I'm looking at the top picture thinking, "That is so Martha! I could never fold them as perfect as that and have it stay in place!" So- are these the same type of pot stickers we usually eat wrapped in tin foil from the chinese restaurants? That's usually what I think of when I hear the word, "pot stickers", and I've always loooooved the taste of them. Kuddos to you, girl. That's awesome you're trying out new ethnic recipes. I would love to attempt this one day. Now you just need to find some tastey and easy Dutch recipes! Lol.
Dang it those are making me crave potstickers! It looks delicious.
Congrats on your cooking goal--have you ever looked up steamykitchen.com ? She does a lot of Asian/Chinese food that is REALLY YUMMY. I love food blogs.
I added this blog to my favorites!
You are amazing. Chinese food isn't even on my radar of cooking. You make it sound so easy - was it? It sounds like you had most of the fillings from other left overs.True? Did this make it easier? I am getting hungry just thinking about this.
Lisa- you are way too sweet. I just followed directions and they turned out okay. Anna- I'm going to go check out that site. I love food sites, too. I spend way too much time looking at them. lol. Emily-I did make them with leftovers, but it was just marinated chicken and some cabbage that I had. Then I added the sesame oil and a couple of other seasonings from the recipe on that website and they were so yummy.
They are fairly easy to make. Just give yourself a little time, make more than you think you need, and make sure you don't burn them! (like I did with my second batch)
Post a Comment