Friday, June 10, 2011

my baby sister


My baby sister Ashlee was flown to University Hospital in Salt Lake late Tuesday night.  She was 27 + weeks pregnant and her water had broken earlier that day. An ultrasound revealed some complicated and life-threatening problems for the baby so she was transferred asap.

I was able to spend some time with her for about 24 hours, and then Wendell and I went down again this afternoon for a few hours. Since she arrived at University Hospital the prognosis has gone from super bad (baby will very likely not make it) to pretty darn hopeful (baby will most likely survive and do well). 

She has a condition called teratoma. It is a non-cancerous tumor growing in her chest cavity (I believe). How quickly they don't know. They are going to keep Ashlee pregnant as long as possible - as long as the baby is doing well in the womb. Once taken by c-section, they will do surgery to remove the tumor. Ashlee and Coden are people of great faith and they have no doubt that their little girl, Sophia, will be fine. For more accurate info - you can visit facebook and look up Coden James Davidson's page. He is keeping tabs on everything. He will accept your friend request even if he doesn't know you. :)  

This condition is so very rare, Ashlee's pregnancy is now a case study up there. And they are sure articles will be written - who knows? But prognosis is looking good and we are praying hard constantly. I know that Heavenly Father is a God of miracles. I have been witnessing that over and over with this situation. It's a beautiful thing. 

2 comments:

Emily said...

I will pray for you sister. I am so sorry she and you have to deal with this.

Brooke said...

I'm so glad everything is going well for now and I pray that it will continue to do so. What an amazing story!