Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Book Review

I've spent the past couple of weeks reading the books Wendell got me for Christmas: The Twilight series by Stephanie Meyer. He'd heard really good things from several people we know, and figured I'd enjoy them. And he was right. I did. I usually can't rest until I'm done with a good book. But with this one I've been trying really hard to not stay up too late reading every night- in the interest of being a good mom and getting Sydney up and ready for school in the mornings. However, last night I was finishing the 3rd and final book. So I gave myself permission to stay up as long as it took. I was only up until about 1:00 am. But then I COULD NOT get to sleep after that! I barely slept all night. Grrr. Now that the reading frenzy is over, I can finally get back to being a responsible mom and get my rest. lol. Today my mind is slow and I feel too tired to accomplish anything. And to top it off I am cranky! Darn that sleep deprivation!
Anyway, if you're looking for a good, girly (and somewhat gushy) romance novel that is
clean and unique - this is the series for you! I don't promise that you'll be enthralled every moment, but there are interesting and exciting conflicts throughout- and it is clean. So there you have it. My professinal book review: check it out! :O)

8 comments:

Dixie Chic said...

Wow- I'm impressed! I kept hearing about that series from Andrea, but since I haven't been in a reading phase since "The Cat Who" books, I haven't been tempted to start another one. This series sounds wonderful, though, so *maybe* I'll see if I can check it out through the library at some point....this year....:) I'm glad you liked it! Oh, and it is ALWAYS okay to read, woman! We are encouraged to read. Don't feel bad- you are a GREAT mother. Your kids will benefit from your reading. (Although, I'm not sure what they can get out of the series you just read...ROFL!)

Heather said...

Aw, thanks Lis! I really should read more often, actually. It's just like I said, though. I get carried away and neglect everything else. Like with Harry Potter. Omgoodness. lol. :O) But at least with this one I was able to force myself to only read at night after the kids went to bed so I could still get stuff done!


And, um, what do you mean about the series I just read? lol. You don't think they can benefit from gushy vampire/human love? LOL. :O)

Kelseybob said...

I have never been a big reader until I moved into this house and joined a book club. Now I find myself reading the book in the first week and then finding others to read to feel the time. Anyhoo... everyone that I have talked to about that series says that it is amazing... I think I will have to start it in a week when Sheldon and Allie are both at preschool and I am here by myself for two hours twice a week!! YAY!!

If you want another really good book you should read "Letters to Emily" just a suggestion. :)

Unknown said...

Agreed! I LOVED those books, I couldn't put them down either. When I was done with them Dan was happy to have his wife back and my kids their mom. I must confess this; I was obsessed for a while after reading them. I had to go to the website and keep reading, she has little snippets of other parts of the book she didn't include and they are good too. She has a 4th book coming out this fall sometime, I can't wait! Also, she is writing Twilight from Edwards point of view, however it won't be called Twilight, but I can't wait for that either.
****brag moment****
My brother-in-law dated Stephanie Meyer their freshman year at BYU! So there :P. ( I know your jealous, LOL)

Anonymous said...

(Random, side note - Heather I'm sorry I didn't tell you about being pregnant earlier - we just kept it in the family for awhile, and I figured the blog was the fastest way to inform the rest of the world.)

So I'm impressed you had the self control to put the books down to be a good mom and only read them at night. I was a zombie for a good week as it took me awhile to find the second and third books.

I really loved them, will be reading the fourth, and would recommend them. But Imust admit (with the fear of offending all Stephanie Meyer fans) that by the end of the third I really wanted to slap Bella. Just a little too drama in the personality for me. But again overall LOVED it and even though I got frustrated with her I couldn't put the books down!

Heather said...

Kels - I've heard that book is good. I'll have to remember to look for it.
Lisa- what a claim to fame! So was she weird? lol.
Emily- I have to TOTALLY agree. Part of the reason I was so eager to finish was because I was TIRED of the melodramatics! ha ha. But I agree, they are still great stories!

Heather said...

Oh, and Emily- you SO don't have to worry about not telling me. I was just giving you a hard time! :O) I know how it goes...

Benjamin said...

I think it sounds great but I have'nt finished the last book I started Last year (The Porter Rockwell Chronicals). I don't know if you read the "Out of Jerusalem" series by H.B. Moore, I think you might find it facinating. By the way THANK YOU for getting the autograph for me, I'm just tickled over it.