New Year's Eve is a funny night. We all feel obligated to stay up until midnight - no matter how tired we are- just to see the first minute of the new year. If you think about it, it's kind of a funny tradition. We kept it low-key last night. We played a game and hung out with some family (which was fun). We actually tried to get to bed and go to sleep. We've been staying up late a lot lately and I was super tired. But we just chatted and were still up at midnight, so we turned on the tube and watched the ball drop. Woo hoo! Where do these traditions come from? I guess it was the 100 year anniversary of the ball-drop. So that's kind of cool. :O)
We are copying some friends of ours and starting a new tradition: going out to breakfast on New Year's Day. We went with our good friends, the Archibalds, this morning. They have a son the same age as Sydney and they get along great. We had a great time. It was hard to get ourselves out of bed - but still fun. I love going out for breakfast.
Another tradition I am trying to keep is that of TippyToes. He's an elf who brings a gift to the kids on New Year's Eve. I've heard of other similar traditions by different names. But TippyToes visited our house when I was growing up - so that's who comes now. :) Our kids got some cute little wooden toys under their pillow. They were pretty stoked about it. Funny thing is, I forgot to remind them about it, so they were totally surprised -- and a little confused- when they saw something sticking out from under the pillow this morning. ha ha.
I don't have any New Year's pictures...but here are a few from Christmas I thought I'd share:
The kids in their new jammies. Sydney refused to wear her new ones because of these "candy cane" pajamas she really wanted to wear.

Here is Sydney watercoloring with her new art easel from Santa. This is a picture of Santa's house and workshop.
This is what Cole did all morning. Sat and chewed on whatever his little hands could reach.
Ethan that night, going to bed with Rocket. He has since put Rocket down from time to time. It's a miracle. For two days it was his whole world!
Sydney surprised me this year. She thought of little things to make for Wendell and me this year and boxed them up herself. Here is a picture of the cute package she decorated for me and the gift that was inside - a homemade bracelet and ring made from yellow construction paper. She was SOOO proud - and so was I! I love her creativity.
Here is Wendell with his package from Sydney. She spent an hour with a friend, Ellie, wrapping and decorating this package. I offered to give her some Christmas wrap - but she insisted Dad would like pink better! The black electrical tape gives it just the right touch!
In the bottom right corner of this picture is the paper car she made for him, but she's holding it backwards - the front has another layer that flips up. It was very cute. We'll keep these treasures forever. :)
Have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
And may all your dreams come true......and stuff.....

7 comments:
I'm glad you're keeping up the tradition of Tippy Toes. You should ask Grandma how it started! Have a wonderful new year!
LOL!!! That is the cutest dang thing! Tell Sydney we think her presents turned out REALLY cute!! The pic of you and your new bracelet and ring is beeeeyooutiful!
I love the tradition of breakfast on New Year's morning- maybe we could start doing that.....well, maybe in a few more years....lol!
Lol about the kids being surprised (and confused) when they got their tippy toes gift!
okay...WHY did that put me under "anonymous"? LOL! That was ME....
I can finally use the computer agian. Those are some great traditions, I might have to steal the ideas too!
What a fun new years tradition! We - thankfully - went to bed nice and early on New Year's Eve. We spent so much time with family over the last couple of weeks - and loved it - but it was nice to have a relaxing night at home. Maybe next year!
What a fun new years tradition! We - thankfully - went to bed nice and early on New Year's Eve. We spent so much time with family over the last couple of weeks - and loved it - but it was nice to have a relaxing night at home. Maybe next year!
That is a fun tradition. I guess I should start doing more tradition stuff when it comes to holidays. I'm getting a lot of great ideas by reading blogs! Anyway, I've checked your blog everyday and today (1/4) is the first day I could see a new post, strange. Anyway, glad to see you had a good Christmas and New Year celebration! Hope you continue to have a wonderful new year.
Post a Comment