Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Well that settles it!

Thanks for your opinions! I am grateful, most of all, to hear several of you say that "Reagan" seems feminine enough. I have regretted the spelling ever since she was born, but mostly because I got a few comments about it.
After much thought on the subject, I've decided I'll keep it how it is. If most people seem to think it's girly enough then why worry about it? I was also thinking it wasn't feminine enough because Sydney was a boy's name originally and she's going to spend much of her life going by "Sid". I hate that nickname because it's too masculine. Several people we know already call her "Sid" and I never know if I should correct them, or if I just shouldn't worry about it. She even writes her name as "Syd" sometimes. Sigh. Anyway, that's part of the reason I wanted to make it more feminine. I guess if I wanted total femininity, then I shouldn't have chosen "boy" names!
(Um... do you think I used the word "feminine" enough?)
Anyway. If I were to change it, I'd do Raegan. Just in case you were wondering. :O)
Thanks for playing.

7 comments:

Kelseybob said...

I know way to many women who are Sydney's to even think that it is a boys name... and this is coming from someone who shares thier name with a very famous man. Ryan's little sister's sister in law is a Syd, and she is as girly as it gets. I'm glad you decided to not change it. I think it is a beautiful name.

Anonymous said...

Yah, you're gonna get people calling your child all sorts of variations of their name- I love the name "jordyn", but some of her friends call her "jord" for short- Uh...."JORD"??? Lol! You can't get around it. Besides, to the ppl who nickname your child, they're not thinking of the name "Syd" being anything BUT Sydney's name, so they're already associating any form of her name with the sweet, precious, feminine, PRINCESS that she is! :)

I do know how ya feel, though. I don't care for the name "Britt", but even *I* call her that most times, lol!

Anonymous said...

Ps- I've often though about changing my kids' names, and I'm sure it would be a pain in the bootie. I mean, after you finally change it on paper, then you have to change it on the church records- I don't know how you'd re-bless them with their "new" name? I've decided that I loved the names I picked at the time, so that's what they're gonna be known as on earth and in heaven whether they (and myself) like it or not, lol!

Anonymous said...

All the Sid's I knew growing up were girls. I don't even know a male Sidney!

Mayme said...

Oh, heather, I hope you didn't feel bad about me saying that Sidney was originally a boy's name. The only reason I brought it up was to make the point that it really doesn't matter what gender it originated from b/c now it is really only known as a girl's name and the same probably applies to the name Reagan. FWIW, I worried about the same thing but on the flip side when we gave Talmage the middle name of Sidney, but decided it didn't matter b/c *I* knew the importance of the name for him. In fact, I still get comments occasionaly about Emory's name being a boy's name and I thought that was pretty clear as a girl's name. You just never can win, can you? LOL.

Russ and Em said...

With as cute as she is I don't think you're going to have to worry about being feminine enough. You are probably going to have to chase the boys away with a baseball bat.

Jamie Jo said...

I have a cousin named Sydney, and we all call her Syd. Her big brothers called her Squid. She is so gorgeous and girly that I would never think of her name as masculine. I think Sydney is a much better girl name then boy. You really don't hear boys named that anymore, so don't worry about it. As to people calling her Syd, I have noticed some of my friends call Spencer Spence, which I have never called him; Spency and Lumpy, sure, but never Spence. It is curious to me that people call a child something different then what the parents do. When Josh was a baby he went by his middle name of Michael. I was emphatic that he not be called Mike, so I would correct them and just politely say, "It's Michael." If it really bugs you that people say Syd you could just say, "We like to call her Sydney." The Coburns are usually pretty good at correcting people in a non-obnoxious way with Marianna and Samuel. But I think Syd really is a cute nickname. And I'm glad you're leaving the spelling of the middle name. Good girl.