Friday, October 23, 2009

National School Lunch Week

A couple of weeks ago we had the delightful opportunity to have lunch with Sydney at school. It was National School Lunch Week. And the school system thinks it a wise decision to let parents experience what their kids are actually eating at school.
Not sure that's a wise decision, after all. Sometimes what you don't know can't hurt you.
But, quality and taste of food were not the point for us. We were excited to go to school and be with Sydney. And she loved having us there. I think Ethan had stars in his eyes and felt like such a big boy.
Sydney's class started lunch a few minutes early and we were a couple of minutes late, which resulted in a slight breakdown and a few tears of worry. Fortunately Sydney's teacher waited with her until we got there and all was well.
You can see the excitement and anticipation all over our faces. Okay, actually I was talking or yawning or something when this was snapped without my knowledge. Happens to the best of us.
Ooooh. What's on the menu today? Spaghetti and greasy red sauce with supposed meat. Mmmmm. Add the grean beans, pumpkin muffin, pears and carrot sticks. Wait, there was a breadstick with cheese inside, too.
Ethan got his without sauce. I think I would have preferred mine that way, too. I must say, though, that Sydney said she "loved" the spaghetti. Is that a commentary on my cooking skills?
We even got our own little lunch tickets. Ethan had such a blast. He is going to be so ready for school when his turn comes.





2 comments:

Russ and Em said...

Ooooo... Makes me crave nice home made lunches. Why would they celebrate school lunch anyway? At least at my school growing up there wasn't much to celebrate.

Anonymous said...

LOL! I'm so happy to see you've finally had an opportunity to experience this. (ha, ha) We did this each year with the kids in St. George, and I totally agree with you. Nasty lunches, but man it makes up for it when you see how excited the kids are. :)