Monday, February 8, 2010

Learning something NEW!


I have always wanted to learn to knit. So the other day, I grabbed a little "learn to knit" kit from WalMart (I know, kind of ghetto, huh?) and a ball of yarn to get started. I also spent some time looking up instructions on the net, of course. I have a love affair with the internet and have to find all the information I can. So between my new book and my beloved computer, I proceeded to teach myself to knit. It was a very stressful and frustrating evening, but by the time I went to bed I knew how to "cast on" and "knit". yay!!!

So I've decided to jump right in and start with a simple pattern- a scarf. I've spent the past couple of days adding to my rows and even learned how to "purl", trying to work in a row of purling in-between each row of knitting. But somehow my little swatch just didn't look quite right. Too twisty and stretchy. I figure I must be pulling my stitches way too tight. So to get a better feel for how I am supposed to be doing it, I turned to my beloved google again. And found some videos. These were very helpful and confirmed to me that I am pulling the yarn too tightly. So I'm excited to give it another shot. I'll keep you all updated on my progress because I'm so excited about it!

3 comments:

Lisa said...

Go Heather! That's awesome. There are so many cute things you can knit. I just saw the other day some girl who knits little (tiny) dolls, monkeys, frogs, ducks, etc. So dang cute!

Da Kine said...

do you remember the red, white and blue blanket that we have? i made that for dad and I had never done one before and it has lasted 35 years so far!

Love you! Dad tried to call you guys today (14th)..HE was in Logan again...sorry you missed him.

Lena said...

You are a better woman than me. I don't knit. I crochet though. I love to crochet.